Friday, September 28, 2012

Welcome to Sra. Guion's Spanish class


This is a practice blog for EDM 510. I am designing and practicing using a blog like I would in a K-12 classroom. Since I teach Spanish, I'm going to pretend that this is the blog for my middle school intro  Spanish course.

Hola, clase!

Welcome to the blog for Sra. Guion's Spanish class. I will use this blog to keep you informed of what's going  on in the classroom on a weekly basis. Every Sunday, look for the upcoming week's curriculum and assignments. If you are absent, check here to see what you can be working on at home so you don't get behind. Some weeks I will post a question based on what we've covered in class: you will need to respond in order to receive participation points for that week.

This week's question is : What do already know about the Spanish language and/or Hispanic culture? Be sure to post your responses by Friday for full credit!

11 comments:

  1. I know very little of the Spanish language. I took French class, not Spanish. I have gone on two or three Mission trips to Mexico, but we always had a translator with us. The places I visited in Mexico were very poor, but the people were very friendly and hospitable. They always wanted to feed us and when they did, it was amazing! I wish I knew more about this interesting culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know a good bit of Spanish actually. It was in our curriculum to start learning Spanish in First grade. I continued every year till I was a Senior in high school. It started out in First grade with colors, shapes, names of objects, like pencil, pen, chicken, etc. We would play "Around the World" and compete from student to student. Our teacher would say a word in English and from the two students competing, you were to say the Spanish word that meant the same. The person who said it correctly got to move on until someone beat them. Another thing about the Spanish culture I loved learning was about The Day of the Dead. That to me would be a fun topic to teach about! So much interesting and spooky material!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really great that you got to learn Spanish from such a early age. I am teaching my son now-he's in kindergarden.

      Delete
  3. Spanish is perhaps the most commonly-used language in the United States after English, but I know none of it. I took Latin in high school, German in college, and spent some time in Poland on an assignment with a previous employer. The English as Second Language (ESL) seminars which I have attended usually focus on Spanish-speaking students, but the most common native language of ESL students in my classroom has been Vietnamese, with a few other southeast Asian languages thrown in. I am from the deep south (Florida) but strangely, the only people who have told me that I talk funny have been other southerners.

    I did spend a week in Columbia, working with engineers. They all wanted to speak English. I remember one thing about Columbian culture - they love sweet drinks. Coca-Cola is popular. One of the stories I like to tell is about the time the Columbians put on a luncheon for us, with china and white table cloth and, of course, coffee. They are justifiably proud of their coffee. The Columbians all tore open those little sugar packets and poured the sugar into their coffee, while I drank mine just the way I like it - black. One of the Columbians asked, "Hey, aren't you going to put any sugar in that coffee?" to which I responded, "It's the best coffee in the world. I don't want to ruin it." They weren't used to anyone not wanting their coffee sweetened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not know much about the Spanish language or Hispanic culture other than what I have read or seen on television. I did take two Spanish classes in college but I only learned the basics in speaking Spanish. I think it is an interesting culture that I would love to learn more about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know a few facts about the Hispanic culture. Family ties are very strong. A former student's grandfather was very ill in Mexico, and his entire family packed-up to go to be with him during his illness. This is fascinating to me that a family unit would do that without thinking. I believe that the majority of Spanish speaking people are Roman Catholic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too only know a few facts. One that stands out for me is the Cinco de Mayo yearly celebration and I hear a lot lately about the Mexican Cartels. This is a mix of good and bad. I would not travel to Mexico anytime soon, does not seem safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have vacationed in Mexico and can tell you that one of my favorite hispanic meals consists of lengua tacos! While I was in Mexico, one of the locals took me to a small restaurant and ordered several different types of tacos. He of course ordered them in Spanish, so you can imagine my surprise when I came to realize that my favorite of the batch were the cow tongue tacos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow...maybe its better you didn't know what lengua meant:) I'm glad you liked them.

      Delete
  8. In the Hispanic culture, family togetherness takes precedence over anything else outside the family spectrum, they are close to one another in many aspects of life. They have a strong sense of identity with their family, church, community, and their own ethnic group. They tend to be very religious, the majority of them are Roman Catholic. It is not unusual for grandparents to live with their children, and grandchildren in the same household(sometimes even uncles, aunts, nephews and nieces are also welcome). In Hispanic countries breakfast meal is light(sometimes composed of "el pan untado c/ mantequilla y el cafĂ©"). Lunch “el almuerzo” is usually the main meal of the day. In the early evening, “la merienda” is a light snack of sandwich and coffee, or rolls, is common. Finally, later in the evening, “la cena,” a small supper, is usually the last meal of the day. The Spanish language provides forms of formal and non-formal address among its speakers, the usted vs. tu. Spanish speakers usually speak loud, fast, and use a lot of hand gestures and body language to better convey their message.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They use pinatas at parties and eat sweet beans for the Holy Festival. They tend to spend a lot of time with their families and are very hard workers.

    ReplyDelete